Spectacular Evidence: Theatres of the Observed Mind
Call for Proposals/ Papers
ABOUT SPECTACULAR EVIDENCE: THEATRES OF THE OBSERVED MIND
A one-day symposium, Spectacular Evidence will include presentations, performances, screenings and talks from the fields of visual art, medicine and critical theory.
Drawing upon histories of madness and its exhibition, and considering how it has been staged as cultural performance, this event will consider behaviours and ‘performances’ exchanged between viewer and physician in relation to patient.
Confirmed contributors to the event include:
- Zoe Beloff, artist. Her exhibition The Coney Island Amateur Psychoanalytic Society celebrated the centennial of Freud’s visit to Coney Island, by resurrecting the forgotten world of the Coney Island Amateur Psychoanalytic Society, along with the visionary ideas of its founder Albert Grass.
- Dr Anna Harpin, author of ‘Performance, Madness and Psychiatry: Isolated Acts’ (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- Dr Joanne Morra, Reader in Art History and Theory, CSM. Founder and principal editor, Journal of Visual Culture. Joanne Morra’s recent book, ‘Inside the Freud Museum’ is pending publication with IB Tauris.
- Florence Peake, artist, dancer and performer, whose recent piece, Swell: The Thickening Surface Of, explored the gap between inner and outer as a tension between inanimate, figurative carapaces, and imagined interior lives being voiced
- Dr Michelle Williams Gamaker, artist, filmmaker and collaborator with Mieke Bal on the feature film A Long History of Madness (2011)
The symposium will take place at ArtsAdmin, Toynbee Studios, London, on 24 March 2017.
Spectacular Evidence: Theatres of the Observed Mind is convened by Dr Zoë Mendelson and presented by Camberwell, Chelsea, Wimbledon Graduate School Public Programme in association with ArtsAdmin.
Contributions are welcome from across disciplines with a connection to the subject area covered by the symposium.
We welcome proposals for traditional presentations by speakers and performative contributions / variations on the lecture form.
Your proposal/presentation should be no more than 20 minutes in duration
The deadline for applications is 5 pm on January 10th 2017
For more information, please contact Zoë Mendelson at email@example.com
SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL HERE: http://bit.ly/2hIpIXe